When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thankgiving 2014!

Preparations are well underway for Thanksgiving Dinner Down Unda 2014!

Groceries are purchased and put away. Menu is planned and cooking will start shortly. House is neeeeeeeeearly clean and tidy. Table is set and almost dinished being decorated. Guests arrive in 4 hours for nibblies at 6:30 and dinner at 7. Cannot wait!

Seating chart doodles.
Starting on my table. Dining for 6 outdoors? Not using my irreplacable wedding china this time!
Simple place setting for 6.
Sorting out my cooking times... the only picture I got of our feast before it was eaten!
More pictures to come as the night progresses!

At 4pm it was clear and sunny and a bit windy. I decided to check the forecast.

This was at 4:17.
Mad dash outside to rescue my two dining chairs, my cutlery and crockery, and my tablecloth. I kid you not, 4 minutes after I covered our table and put bricks on top to keep the cover on, this happened.
Hail. Rain. Wind so strong the hail was flying *sideways* into our glass doors! So, dinner was inside last night.
Grand plans, only half an hour delayed!
So.much.yumz.
I made these simple yet fancy schmancy place cards for our table. Click here for how I did them.
I also made this sign which I washi taped to our window. Couldn't see it so I moved it inside.
If you've been to my house recently, you've seen how crazy cluttered our dining table is. All that's been shoved into the laundry room and laundry toilet. ;) Don't open that door, you'll kill yourself.

A frenzied vacuuming and tidying up left me with minutes to go before guests arrived. Glenn showered first and greeted guests while I showered and changed. I kid you not, I had dry shorts on in the morning. When I finished my errands and house cleaning and cooking, my shorts were dripping wet. It was that hot and humid here yesterday.

I got dressed (in a dress!) and came down to find all our guests had arrived. We sat down in the fan for some nibblies brought by Claire and chatted while I finished off the cornbread, turkey, stuffing, gravy, and potatoes.
Mum and Dad
Our Wisconsin "frozen chosen" expat friend Corinne
Hubby
Us
Our good mate Claire
I didn't get a picture of the table before we all sat down, nor did any of us get a picture of the feast before we all dug in. Ooops. Believe me when I say it was soooooooooo good. And we have plenty of leftovers!

Last year, we taught Corinne how to play Ticket To Ride. This year we all played as three teams of two. It was about to get cutthroat!
Lovely bevvies for the evening.
Just about to break out the game.
Mum and Dad - Team Red.

Glenn and I - Team Black
Claire and Corinne - Team Green
We played with the 1910 expansion.
Game underway....
Action shot!
Hmm, will everyone complete their tickets!?
We completed 7/8 tickets....
and we won with 126 points!
After such a rousing game, it was time for dessert. We had 3 choices: homemade apple pie, strawberry cheesecake, and chocolate bavarian. With ice cream and custard.
With our dessert plates licked clean, our guests were ready to go home to bed, and I was ready to get into my jammies. We bid everyone adieu with a box of eggs from my bountiful harvest in the morning. Dishes can wait til morning, it's time for bed!



Happy Thanksgiving!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...