When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Expat Thanksgiving

Living in Australia, with all my blood relations at least 18 hours flight away, and both my children gone to Heaven, I cling to traditions I grew up with. This includes celebrating Thanksgiving. Now, my oven is pitifully small, so I've never cooked a full bird in it. Instead I get a turkey roll/loaf. It fits my oven and tastes just as good. ;) 
On Sunday, I spotted one of our mates, C. and deliberately asked her what she was doing for Thanksgiving this year. I made the effort to seek her out and invited her to dinner at our place. I think I made her day. She's of my Gramma's age and has been down here in Oz for a long time. To be invited to dinner by a young couple to celebrate your national holiday? That'd make my day!

She's bringing apple pie. I'm making turkey, stuffing, brown onion gravy, garlic mashed potatoes and toasted Turkish bread. Yum. I'm thinking of whipping up a cinnamon spice cake too, just to add to the autumnal feel. Note: it's currently Spring here in Queensland. (Bloody hot down here!)

Now to get out the cookbook and find the spice cake recipe I'm thinking of. Cream cheese frosting anyone?

-Kara

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...