When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

What's In A Name

When Glenn and I were dating, we were talking about having kids, the topic of names came up.
Our tree. When the rest of our group was trying to find us, they'd say "Have you checked under the tree?"
One afternoon in Queen's Park, Toowoomba during AGMF 2006, we were having lunch under the shade of this tree. Names again came up and off we went. I had a list of names I liked and shared them with him.
Glennjamin and Miss Scarlet. Very much in love and planning our future.
My top pick was Ellie Mae for a girl and Evan Reilly for a boy.
I love music, and especially jazz, and I liked the name Ellie as a version of Ella. My auntie is May but I like the spelling Mae better.
I went to grade school with an Evan and he was a nice kid. Two other guys I know were named Riley and I liked the sound of it. I'm not sure exactly when I put the two names Evan and Reilly together but it just sounded really nice and like they were meant to be together.

Well, Glenn didn't approve of Ellie Mae. *HE* said it sounded too southern and redneck. I reminded him that we are in the deep south down here in Oz! He had some name ideas that I wasn't too keen on (too old fashioned for my taste) and none of our family names really suited us. After much discussion, we some how came up with the name Julia Rose. When our first baby was born, in my gut I felt that we had had a baby girl, so we named her Julia Rose. As luck would have it, there is a Julia in my dad's family tree generations back. We've only just learned this. I like that my baby Julia is connected to my dad's side of the family by name. It does me good.
The day we found out I was pregnant with baby number two, we settled on a girl's name (which we still hope to use one day so it'll remain private for now) and on a boy's name. As it turned out, we had a boy and we named him Evan Riley. The spelling of Reilly was changed to Riley (for ease of spelling really) and it was the perfect name for our little dude.

I didn't look up name meanings much while pregnant with either baby, but after Evan died, you bet I did! According to various baby books and internet sources, Julia means Youthful or downy haired. Rose, um, yeah. Duh. It's a flower. :p So our first born is a Youthful Flower, which I think is fitting. Seeing as she died young, I like to think that our little rosebud is blooming up in Heaven.
Evan's name couldn't have fit him better if we tried. Evan is a form of John. My mom's dad is John and Glenn's mum's brother is John. A family name without even knowing it! Evan means God is gracious. Riley means Courageous Warrior. Our last name Davies means Beloved of God.
So fitting for our little fighter!

My own name means Dear one, who is like God, Beloved of God.
My husband's name means Gift of God, from the valley, Beloved of God.
Names mean a big deal around here. Our future babies names are mostly chosen and I love their meanings. They fit the personalities I hope we get to conceive, carry, birth and raise. They are loved and hoped for and wanted very much.


I'm linked up with Still Standing Magazine's blog hop.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...