When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Australia Day floods

For those that have heard about the wild storms hitting us here in normally sunny Queensland, we are pretty soggy. Glenn and I are ok, we have power, we aren't flooded, we have food and water. Our backyard drain was clogged up and full of debris. During a lull in the rain, I went out Monday late afternoon and cleared it with a broom before running back inside.

As a Seattleite, rain in general doesn't really bother me. Rain when *we've just had a huge flood two years ago and most places are still trying to recover*, that rain does bother me. Very fortunately, we weren't affected in the January 2011 floods that ravaged much of Brisbane and Toowoomba, nor this weekend's fury. Thank you Jesus for sparing us and our families! Saturday and Sunday nights I didn't sleep much. I was praying that the few pieces of outdoor furnishings in our backyard wouldn't blow away. The wind was fierce and loud, the doors in our house were creaking and it was creepy. Downright scary! It reminded me of Easterfest 2011, trying to sleep in our tent during another storm. (And praying we wouldn't wash away in the middle of the night!) That night while trying to get back to our tent, I saw parents clutching prams and strollers. For an instant I was glad we didn't have Evan with us. I couldn't imagine fighting my way through the water with him screaming in my arms, nor trying to console him as the weather destroyed our campsite. I felt a rush of *outraged mama bear* rise up as I got to our tent, afraid for the other parents with small children in tow. Our campsite ended up quite muddy but our tent was dry. Our bedding was dry. Our clothes were dry. I changed into dry jammies and set out Glenn's. In the morning we evacuated the park to stay with my inlaws in their motel.
2011 - Easter Saturday, enjoying the concert, unaware of what was to come.
Storm clouds that were building all afternoon and evening.
Let the madness begin! This was taken by Mum from under their waterproof blanket.
Glenn had just returned with our dinner when the deluge started. I tried to cover it and myself with whatever was on hand. A camping chair carry bag does not a good rainhat make.
Dad and crew hiding under the blanket.
EasterFest Mainstage, under seige from this unexpected storm.
More view from under the blanket.
You can see the haze the rain brought!
Dad, Mum. Amelia and Alan back at their motel. A&A drove back home this night as they didn't have any other dry clothes.
The morning after the night before. A very soggy Camp Davies.
Mud, glorious mud. Packing up to evacuate up to Mum and Dad's motel for the night.
Many EasterFest campers were drenched and washed away in the deluge. There were towels and bedding and blankets on the fences everywhere you looked.
This is the access to MainStage, blocked off. All the electrics from the stage and backstage areas were underwater. The entire park was declared a disaster zone and evacuated as soon as possible. Event organizers scrambled to rebook venues around the city
Our camping gear making its way into Mum and Dad's dry room.
Easter Sunday morning. This is the main tent. The roof just couldn't handle that much water and ripped to shreds.
Sitting outside Grand Central waiting for a rescheduled show.
Note how brown the water is. This is looking towards the library and below is the same area in January 2011.
Can you see now why we were so afraid for our lives? This entire city was underwater by several meters only 3 months prior.
The park Easter Sunday night, the demolition well underway.
Willing myself to sleep this weekend brought back to mind that night in our tent. (I was scared for our lives that night. I've been in earthquakes and power outtages and water shutoffs, but never a flood!) Today when I woke up, it was pure mugginess and sunshine. I was reminded of God's promise never to destroy the entire earth with a flood again.

Genesis 9:11-17 English Standard Version
"..I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” 12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: 13 I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 17 God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”"

These are some pictures of the recent devastation in Logan, Queensland, my home city here in Australia.
January 28, 2013 "Lake IKEA Logan". Taken from the window of our staff restaurant looking out to our bus stop. The water is ankle deep at this point.
Looking out towards the motorway. To the right is our major roundabout which is now underwater. As such the local bus route isn't servicing the store. Ergo, I can't get to work.
January 29, 2013 Not even the shade sails at our local shopping center were spared from the winds. They were rolled back and attached with zip ties until they could be repaired.
Tonight, my house is very humid, my furniture clammy to the touch, my bedsheets uncomfortably sticky. But I have a God who keeps His promises. Never to destroy the whole earth with a flood again!

And with that ancient promise in mind, I am going to bed. I'm sick and I need my rest.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...