When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Red Beans and Rice Part Deux

Tried making red beans and rice again tonight. This batch is much better.

I used leftover rice from chili night instead of making fresh rice. I started with reading the side of the one remaining box of Zatarain's I have in my pantry to see what was in it. I heated some olive oil in my nonstick skillet, added some garlic and chilli and let them get all snug and cozy together. Next came some diced bacon and some cajun seasoning before I tossed in my sliced chorizo. Once the chorizo started to get all sizzly and yummy, I stirred it all up and in went a can of rinsed red kidney beans. A veggie stock cube and a beef stock cube mixed with water, soy sauce and a bit of tomato paste finished it up.

I let this all bubble away while I microwaved my rice. I like a bit of sour cream stirred into my rice to help cut the cajun seasoning's bite. (My local grocery store only has "hot" cajun, otherwise I'd go for mild.) This batch turned out better than my first attempt at red beans and rice from scratch. It's not quite Zatarain's but it's getting closer.

I used a mix of these two recipes (Slowcooker Red Beans and Rice + Quick Red Beans and Rice) to figure out what to put in my mixture. I'm thinking this would be good in a tortilla with some rice and scrambled eggs with cheese for a killer breakfast burrito... any takers?

Speaking of tortillas, I'm going to try making my own this week using this recipe. I'm hoping they turn out as I <3 me some tortillas.



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...