When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Valentines Headband - tutorial

I saw this idea on babble via prudentbaby and went to the original site. A cute felt headband for Valentine's Day!

Ribbon, stiffened felt, needle, scissors and thread, I can do that!

Original - http://katiedid.squarespace.com/katie-did-journal/2009/2/8/hearts-in-their-hair.html
Blogger's lovely model, taken from site above ^

Mine- http://pinterest.com/pin/177047829070759924/
Headband on
Hand stitched and the knot at the end.
I used StoryBook to get circles and hearts the size I wanted and printed them onto regular computer paper. I cut them out by hand which never really turns out well. (It's times like this I wish I had a Silhouette machine! I'd have cut them out in cardstock to make better templates.) I used them to trace around on to stiffened felt and cut the shapes out. I did 6 hearts in red and 5 circles in white.

I found a piece of ribbon that I'd used previously as a head band and folded it in half. I tied a knot about 3.5"-4" in from the end on both ends of the ribbon. This meant the felt would go just behind each of my ears when worn and I'd have enough to tie the ribbon in a bow and keep the whole shebang on my head!

I folded the ribbon in half to find the middle and sewed a white circle on by hand. I sewed a heart, a circle, a heart, a circle and ended with a heart, then repeated on the other side of the center. It took me an entire episode of FRINGE to sew this by hand, not bad. A machine would make it faster but I don't own one. I'll be using some iron on hemming tape and a scrap of fabric to stabilize the back of my headband as it is a bit flimsy for my taste. I'll also do up another one using smaller felt pieces as this one was a bit too big for my liking. I'll use it as some window garland instead. :)


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...