When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Monday, January 09, 2012

It's been a DECADE!

10 years ago today I landed in Klagenfurt for a 3 month stay with my host parents Mark and Becky Bryan.

I'd never flown internationally before. I'd never flown solo that far before. I was scared shitless to fly across the Atlantic so soon after 9/11. I'd never seen armed National Guardsmen and Guardswomen in full fatigues with guns in SeaTac before. Since when did lil old SeaTac start looking like a "third world" country? (I really don't like that term btw.) I'd never had to take my shoes off going through security before. I thouroughly enjoyed having LESS people at the gate to deal with! Ticketed travelers only what a relief! :D

I stayed awake most of the flight from Seattle Tacoma to London Heathrow and was astounded by the size of Heathrow! It was huge! I got to my connecting flight to Vienna and fell asleep somewhere along the way. I got to Vienna and saw another girl who looked a bit lost/out of place. I think she had on a long light blue sweater duster coat and jeans. Turns out she was my host parent's niece and my new roomie Jodi. We were picked up by our housemate Markus -who recently joined the rank of saints called Home- and drove a couple hours south to Klagenfurt Austria. I think we got there in the snowstorm of the season, if not the century! Our car broke down and we had to wait for Mark to come get us. Markus' car was given a piggy back later (a tow).

We arrived at Karl Marx Strasse and had some meat and cheese on bread for dinner and went to bed. I've no idea what time it was when we arrived but it was dark and I was ZONKED! I remember falling into bed and sleeping like a log. I think I woke up the next afternoon at 4. (Oops.)

Three months later I flew home completely in love with Austria and international travel.

10 years on, I'm married to an Australian, living down unda and trying for our third child. Whodathunkit?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...