When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Beef and bean enchiladas : recipe

On my menu plan for tonight is "Enchiladas with Rice and Beans". I make my own enchiladas and each batch is different. I prefer chicken and black bean but I had beef and red kidney beans on hand so that's what I went with.

Here's what you'll need:
500g beef strips, a carton of sour cream, a can of enchilada sauce,
2 cans of red or black beans -rinsed, a package of tortillas, shredded cheese
In a skillet or frypan, heat a glug of olive oil with a bit of minced garlic, some dried onion flakes and chili powder. Once it's fragrant (not very long), chuck in your beef strips (or chicken if you're using chicken) and stir until they're cooked on the outside. Add in about a half cup of the enchilada sauce and the beans and cook until the sauce reduces down a bit.
With the back of the spoon, smash some of your beans up a bit to help thicken the mixture otherwise it'll be too watery. Watery filling = not nice enchiladas.
Add in about half the carton of sour cream and stir over medium heat until the cream melts and it looks yummy.
Mmmmm, beefy beany sour creamy goodness! (At this stage it'd be great over rice.)
Grab your tortillas and plop a good dollop of your beefy bean mixture down the center and add some shredded cheese. I used mozzarella as that was on sale and I like it's melty-ness. Cheddar works, a mexican blend, whatever floats your boat. If you really wanted to bulk these up and stretch your meat further, you could stir in some cooked leftover rice and a can of corn. I don't particularly like corn in my enchiladas (or otherwise) so I don't add it.
Roll up your filled tortillas and put them seam side down into a foil pan that's been sprayed with non-stick spray oil. Cram as many in as possible, spread a bit of the remaining sour cream on top, drizzle some enchilada sauce on and top with a small handful of cheese. I add some garlic salt but if you don't like it, no worries. Bake your lovely enchiladas at 200*C (400*F) for 5 minutes then turn down to 150*C (300*F) and bake for another 15-20, or until the top is nicely browned and cheese is gooey. In the meantime, cook some rice in your rice cooker using some of the enchilada sauce inplace of the water. This will give your rice a lovely color and a bit of flavor. I usually add some veggie stock cubes to my rice as I don't like it plain. After my enchiladas are in the oven, I get the rice going. When I can smell the enchiladas, I turn the heat down and listen for my rice cooker to *click* at the end of it's cycle. That's how I know my dinner is done. :)
I serve my enchiladas on a bed of rice, a dollop of sour cream, some hot refried beans and some plain corn tortilla chips to help scoop up the rice.

Dig in!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...