When we exchanged rings, we hoped our family of two would grow.
It has, into a family of 4. We're just split in half.
Two of us walk the Earth while two of us fly in Heaven.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lest we forget

I'm an armed forces daughter and granddaughter.

My dad served. His father served. My mother's father served. Other relatives have served. All of them served before I was born. My brother Ethan said it best:

On this Veterans Day of 11-11-11 there are just too many great photos, plaques, poems and sayings to recopy and post on my status. Suffice it to say that I am grateful for all who have served in our country's Military branches, whether in a direct combat role or behind the scene as most are.
Great grampa Gillette US Army,
Great uncle George US Army (WWII),
Great grampa Wright (Wright brothers family) Massachusetts Militia,
Dad's cousin Steve Gillette US Air Force,
Dad's cousin Glenn Gillette US Airforce,
my Grampa Charles Gillette US Army Air Force and US Air Force (WWII POW - Korean conflict & Vietnam),
Grampa Bob Larson US Army
 and my dad Chuck Gillette US Air Force Reserves.
My Grampa Gillette as a youngun
My Grampa Gillette's plane, Mon Tete Rouge II
My Grampa Gillette's final resting place. I've never met him. My kids have. How trippy is that?
My Dad's cousin Steve
My Dad's cousin Glenn
My Grampa Larson
My Dad
Army Air Corps
Army Air Forces
Army

Thank you all who have served, and who are serving.

1 comments:

Elisabeth Hirsch said...

What a beautiful post. I know this means so much to so many!

On a side note, I found your blog through faces of loss.
On 11/18 my little one would have been nine. As a tribute to him and other babies who have passed away, I'm hosting a blogfest for mothers who have lost infants or children. I would love it if you could join us and share your story.
-Elisa

Here's that link if you're interested:
http://ecwrites.blogspot.com/2011/11/golden-sky-blogfest-is-in-less-than.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...